New storage for user preferences

Lukas Kahwe Smith mls at pooteeweet.org
Sun Oct 16 11:51:13 CEST 2005

Geert Vanderkelen wrote:

> Attached is a patch that stores user preferences in a table called
> user_preferences, instead of an associative, serialized array..

I have pondered over the same question in my own framework and decided
to stick with a serialized array. The main reasons are as follows:
- simpler
- i do not intend that i will run searches on what user has what preference
- i can handle complex deeply structured preference items

of course using serialized arrays is very ugly SQL design :-)
(though in SQL:2003 they have array support .. i doubt they cover multi
dimensional arrays though)

regards,
Lukas