imap_root Question

Jason von Nieda jason at vonnieda.org
Fri Oct 21 19:34:45 CEST 2005

It is for the IMAP namespace, but depending on the IMAP server that
eventually can translate to a file on the filesystem. For the UW-IMAP
server the default is to store mail folders in your home directory, but
if you do that then your mail client ends up looking through your entire
home directory (and mine is quite large) for mail folders. Instead I use
a subdirectory called mail with a imap_root of mail so the client should
request folders as mail/FolderName.

In any case, I am not sure if this is proper behavior but it's
definitely accepted. I use a imap root of mail in Mail.app on OS X,
Thunderbird in Windows and OS X and Outlook Express in Windows. These
all seem to work as expected.

The latest change to using a default delimiter if the server doesn't
send one seems to fix much of the problem but the INBOX and Trash
folders still fail. It sounds like other people are having the same
problem with INBOX, in that the client is requesting imap_root/INBOX
instead of INBOX. IMAP reserves the name INBOX to mean "the user's
system inbox, wherever that is" and it should not be prepended with the
imap_root.

Jason