Login failed

Phil Cryer phil at cryer.us
Wed Apr 12 17:23:01 CEST 2006

On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 10:19:20 -0500 (CDT), "Phil Cryer" <phil at cryer.us> wrote:

> On Wed, April 12, 2006 10:04 am, Thomas Bruederli wrote:
>> Phil Cryer wrote:
>>>
>>> Yeah, it stays on the login page, but gives the 'Login failed' message
>>> in
>>> the red box at the top, just no error logs that I can find.
>>
>> It seems that the IMAP login succeeds but RC denies access because the
>> user is not registered in the local users table and auto_create_user is
>> set to FALSE. Set it on, and a user record will be created upon the
>> first login.
>
> Thanks for the suggestion Thomas, but no dice, and I suspect so since it
> worked before.  Two things now, looking at my users table in my DB I have
> two 'phil' entires:
>
> |       1 | phil     | pepe.cryer.us |       | 2005-12-12 10:14:50 |
> 2006-04-11 12:25:02 | en_US    | a:5:{s:8:"timezone";d
> r_html";b:1;s:10:"prettydate";b:1;s:10:"dst_active";b:1;} |
>
> [...]
> |       4 | phil     | localhost     |       | 2006-04-03 09:39:15 |
> 2006-04-03 09:39:15 | en_US    |
>
> ah, notice that first one created last dec -- yeah, I'm old school with
> RC!
>
> also, I turned log on to trace and tried to login and now I get:
>
> IMAP Error: Authentication for phil failed (LOGIN): "a001 NO Plaintext
> authentication disabled."
>
> Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent in
> /usr/local/www/data-dist/roundcubemail-cvs/program/include/rcube_sharedinc
> on line 121
>
> So it looks like IMAP is the issue - I haven't messed with Dovecot
> recently (afaik) but I'll take a look.  don't really understand the
> doublespeak of :
>
> NO Plaintext authentication disabled.
>
> So plaintest auth is disabled...so only encrypted?  I'm running via SSL -
> but perhaps within the server it's trying to login plain..hmm..

Ah, and that was in, in dovecot.conf I changed this:

disable_plaintext_auth = yes

to this

disable_plaintext_auth = no

Doesn't sound good, but you're only able to connect to my IMAP server via localhost, and you can only get into RC via ssl -- so I feel fine with it.  The only question I have is why did this work before, and then when it didn't work in RC, why did it continue to work in Squirrel?  Makes no sence.

Anyway, thanks for hearing me out Thomas, seems good now!