major change to deletion process

Randy Noval randy at sermo.net
Fri Apr 28 21:35:42 CEST 2006

Charles McNulty wrote:
> Randy Noval wrote:
>> Thunder bird works as I described. Take a bunch of emails that are not
>
> :) It works as I described too!  Wild!  The option that determines it is
> Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings->"When I delete a message"
> if you change it to "Mark it as deleted" you'll be seeing what I'm
> seeing, which is that Thunderbird loses the "seen" flag.
>
> My patch will make it perform exactly like Thunderbird, except that
> instead of a preference determining the behavior, the presense of the
> Trash folder determines it.  When a message is moved to the Trash folder
> Seen status is maintained.  When a message is marked as deleted, Seen
> status is lost.
>
> -Charles

No, you're combining behaviors and removing the user's option to choose.
For example, on the default install of thunderbird (what most people
will use), that setting is not checked, though it is an option. An
option is what it should remain because those features are functionally
separate. If you don't want to be annoyed, you can change the option,
but it makes no sense to combine functions for what should be a user
determined preference. Just because it can work like you describe
doesn't mean that it should be the default behavior.