Back to message filtering

Jesse Thompson jesse.thompson at doit.wisc.edu
Mon Apr 24 15:03:54 CEST 2006

phil wrote:

> On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 10:31:41 -0500, Brian Jackson <iggy at theiggy.com> wrote:
>> Anish Mistry wrote:

>>> I've got this item on my To-Do list.  As others have said the correct
>>> place to add filtering is server-side via. Sieve.  That is what I'm
>>> planning on doing; Sieve and only Sieve.  Right now it is just a
>>> To-Do item and no code has been written.  Hopefully I'll have time
>>> sometime this summer to work on it.  I'm working on getting the
>>> relevent pear packages up to snuff right now.
>>>
>> How many imap servers support sieve? Making it sieve specific seems like a
>> bad idea.

By that logic, I could say: How many imap servers support procmail?
Making it procmail specific seems like a bad idea.

We use Sun Java System Messaging Server, which uses sieve for mail
filters.  Sun's sieve GUI interface is lacking for our needs, so I wrote
one.  It would be nice if there was a more advanced interface that we
could use.

IMO, sieve is the best option for server side filtering.  From
http://web.archive.org/web/20041126062029/http://www.cyrusoft.com/sieve/

"Sieve is a language that can be used to create filters for electronic
mail. It is not tied to any particular operating system or mail
architecture."

"The language is powerful enough to be useful, but limited in power in
order to allow for a safe server-side filtering system. The intention is
to make it impossible for users to do anything more complex (and
dangerous) than write simple mail filters..."

"Because of the expectation that users will make use of filtering if it
is offered and easy to use, this language has been made simple enough to
allow many users to make use of it, but rich enough that it can be used
productively. However, it is expected that GUI-based editors will be the
preferred way of editing filters for most users."

"There are many filtering schemes in place at present, using widely
variant underlying syntaxes and representing different levels of
sophistication, functionality, and detail. Virtually no two different
filtering schemes interoperate with one another, forcing users and
system administrators alike to re-create filters for each individual
piece of software."

> Agreed, and again, don't take all Summer to reinvent the wheel when this has already been done before.  Check out http://email.uoa.gr/projects/squirrelmail/avelsieve.php -- it's a SM plugin, with a web UI front end, take a look at the screenshots.  So all the work is basically already done, you just have to 1) integrate it into RC 2) redo the layout/style 3) ??? 4) profit!

Avelsieve only works with Cyrus.  Maybe steal avelsieve's editing
interface and then modularize the way it stores the filters to allow for
  compatibility with other IMAP servers.