hanging double quote in header

Chris Richardson crichardson at cantella.com
Wed Apr 26 21:59:40 CEST 2006

I agree with Charles. Lets face it these standards are a great concept
but the real world is not so black and white espicaly when Microsoft is
a large player. outlook, outlook express, and exchange all do non rfc
compliant things and it would be a foolish mistake to not work around
such a large part of the market.

Charles McNulty wrote:
> Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe what you're suggesting (running each header though a validator that checks it for RFC compliance and discards non-compliant headers) would require significantly more "hoop jumping" than escaping quotes in the headers.  That said I'm not familiar with the the governing RFCs, so I'm not sure if this is the best solution.  What I am sure is that I don't want people to be able to send me e-mails (by accident, not maliciously, mind you) that break RC.
>
> -Charles
>
> On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 00:33:44 +0200, "B. Johannessen" <bob at db.org> wrote:
>> Charles McNulty wrote:
>>> I recieved the following message which RC choked on:
>>> ..
>>> From: Dell Member Program <Dell_Member_Programs at dell.com>"
>>>
>>> Notice the double quote just hanging out there in the From address. This
>>> fubars the HTML which then messes up the JS call.  It would seem that we
>>> need to escape headers.
>> That's an invalid RFC 2822 From: header. I see no reason for RoundCube
>> to jump through hoops trying to accommodate messages that are this
>> severely broken.
>>
>> If anything, the above From: header field should simply be ignored.
>>

>> 	Bob

other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information
by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.
If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete this
material from any computer.

In accordance with industry regulations, all messages are retained and are subject to monitoring.

This message has been scanned for viruses and dangerous content and is believed to be clean.

Securities offered through Cantella & Co., Inc., Member NASD/SIPC.
Home Office: 2 Oliver Street, 11th Floor, Boston, MA 02109
Telephone: (617)521-8630