major change to deletion process

Darren Pilgrim darren.pilgrim at bitfreak.org
Fri Apr 28 09:24:51 CEST 2006

Charles McNulty wrote:
> I've just finished changes to a pretty significant change to the way RC
> handles deleted mail, and I wanted to run it past y'all before I
> comitted it.  First I'll describe the existing process, then I'll
> describe how I changed it.

[ Change message deletion behavior to mark as deleted rather than mark
and purge directly if no designated Trash folder. ]

> Any comments?  Suggestions?

Using IMAP's seperate mark-for-deletion and purging features moves RC
toward feature completeness and helps anyone who runs a corporate mail
system with a full retention policy.  We run modified IMAP servers with
the normal purge function replaced with a garbage collector; however,
it's far easier allowing the user to unflag messages still in the folder
than it is to manually pull them out of a hidden folder or archive database.