Hierarchical folders (Rev 290)

Chuck, Charlie and Charles charles at charlesmcnulty.com
Thu Aug 3 16:09:02 CEST 2006

Thomas Bruederli wrote:
> Hi Charles,
>
> I saw that you changed the list structure of the mailbox list. Now the
> HTML does not validate anymore because ULs cannot be nested directly
> within ULs. It seems to solve the highlighting problem but I'm not sure
..
> with this solution. Alternatively we could apply all styles to the a-tag
> instead of the li. Any thoughts?

Hi, I didn't realize that was invalid HTML.  It looks like applying the
style to the link would look okay for root level folders, but it might
not look as good for sub-folders.  It looks like there would be a space
on the left that wasn't highlighted.

One way around that would be to ditch the line seperating folder lists,
and instead of highlighting the whole row, only highlight the name of
the folder (ala Thunderbird, Outlook).  It might not look quite as clean
as it does now though.

The only other approach that I could see though would be to ditch lists
altogether and switch to divs or tables which would mean we'd have to
handle all the hierarchy manually, which would be a pain.  I'll put some
more time into this a little later.

-Charles