Validation

Brett Patterson brett at bpatterson.net
Thu Aug 3 18:56:49 CEST 2006

Since Charles "broke" the validation with his sub-folder highlighting
stuff, I also noticed that in general, Roundcube won't validate because
of the "search" type of input.

XHTML 1.0 Transitional DTD: link
<http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/dtds.html#dtdentry_xhtml1-strict.dtd_InputType>
> <!ENTITY % InputType
>   "(text | password | checkbox |
>     radio | submit | reset |
>     file | hidden | image | button)"
>    >

> <!-- the name attribute is required for all but submit & reset -->
>
> <!ELEMENT input EMPTY>     <!-- form control -->
> <!ATTLIST input <http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/dtds.html#dtdentry_xhtml1-strict.dtd_input>
>   %attrs; <http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/dtds.html#dtdentry_xhtml1-strict.dtd_attrs>
>   %focus; <http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/dtds.html#dtdentry_xhtml1-strict.dtd_focus>
>   type        %InputType; <http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/dtds.html#dtdentry_xhtml1-strict.dtd_InputType>    "text"
>   name        CDATA          #IMPLIED
>   value       CDATA          #IMPLIED
>   checked     (checked)      #IMPLIED
>   disabled    (disabled)     #IMPLIED
>   readonly    (readonly)     #IMPLIED
>   size        CDATA          #IMPLIED
>   maxlength   %Number; <http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/dtds.html#dtdentry_xhtml1-strict.dtd_Number>       #IMPLIED
>   src         %URI; <http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/dtds.html#dtdentry_xhtml1-strict.dtd_URI>          #IMPLIED
>   alt         CDATA          #IMPLIED
>   usemap      %URI; <http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/dtds.html#dtdentry_xhtml1-strict.dtd_URI>          #IMPLIED
>   onselect    %Script; <http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/dtds.html#dtdentry_xhtml1-strict.dtd_Script>       #IMPLIED
>   onchange    %Script; <http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/dtds.html#dtdentry_xhtml1-strict.dtd_Script>       #IMPLIED
>   accept      %ContentTypes; <http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/dtds.html#dtdentry_xhtml1-strict.dtd_ContentTypes> #IMPLIED
>   >
So that won't validate since in XHTML 1.0, "search" isn't a valid input
type :(

Even the XHTML 1.1 spec doesn't have "search" as an input type:
> <!ENTITY % input.attlist  "INCLUDE" >
> <![%input.attlist;[
> <!ENTITY % InputType.class
>      "( text | password | checkbox | radio | submit
>       | reset | file | hidden | image | button )"
> >
> <!-- attribute 'name' required for all but submit & reset
> -->
> <!ATTLIST %input.qname;
>       %Common.attrib;
>       type         %InputType.class;        'text'
>       name         CDATA                    #IMPLIED
>       value        CDATA                    #IMPLIED
>       checked      ( checked )              #IMPLIED
>       disabled     ( disabled )             #IMPLIED
>       readonly     ( readonly )             #IMPLIED
>       size         %Number.datatype;        #IMPLIED
>       maxlength    %Number.datatype;        #IMPLIED
>       src          %URI.datatype;           #IMPLIED
>       alt          %Text.datatype;          #IMPLIED
>       tabindex     %Number.datatype;        #IMPLIED
>       accesskey    %Character.datatype;     #IMPLIED
>       accept       %ContentTypes.datatype;  #IMPLIED

I know Safari is supporting this, and with it the "results" attribute,
but it won't validate.

Not sure if you're working off of a different spec or not.  Just thought
I'd point it out ;)

~Brett