Fwd: UTF7 - UTF8 folder encoding errors

Eric Liang ericliang2 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 9 09:05:05 CEST 2006

I don't know if anyone received this previously... it does not show in the
web archive of the list so I'm resending.

Apologies if you already received it.


---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Eric Liang <ericliang2 at gmail.com>
Date: Aug 8, 2006 1:29 PM
Subject: UTF7 - UTF8 folder encoding errors
To: dev at lists.roundcube.net


I think the functions for UTF7-UTF8 encoding/decoding are not performing
well, especially on the folders (view/create/rename folder).

This happens mostly on non ISO-8859-1 charsets (in the source it shows that
this function is not yet done).

Is there a chance we get IMP's enc/decoding functions and use those instead?
They work nicely in any system I tested IMP on.

If someone wants privately to work with me on this issue please contact me
directly. I am willing to spend a lot of my time in testing and debugging. I
tried to fix this myself but I'm not good enough and even though I managed
to decode folders fine (these folders contained foreign chars created by
other programs) I messed things up with other functions.

So basically I need someone who knows what he's doing in order to fix this

Also, I propose that wherever needed, we should make the charset conversion
assumptions configurable by the admin and not have them hardcoded to

If someone wants to work on this with me (I have a test system showcasing
the issues which can be used for testing the fixes as well) please contact
me directly.

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.roundcube.net/pipermail/dev/attachments/20060809/9614aa84/attachment.html>

More information about the Dev mailing list