I'm implementing tags!

Joe Auricchio jauricchio.lists at gmail.com
Wed Aug 9 21:45:53 CEST 2006

Hi!

I'm fed up with the fact that there are, to my knowledge, no webmail
systems that support tags/labels (with the notable exception of
GMail). So I'm going to do something about it.

I'm going to add tags to Roundcube! =]

I intend to read tags from, and store them as, IMAP Flags. The result
should be somewhat interoperable with Thunderbird and Pine. (I've
never used Pine, so I won't be able to test interop; I'm not a
Thunderbird user but I have installed it and played with its tagging.)

Now to the nitty-gritty.

The plan, so far, is:
- clean up the way flags are handled in rcube_imap.inc and lib/
imap.inc. They're up-cased, and "SEEN", "DELETED", etc are magical. I
believe a better way to do this is to preserve flag case all the way
through, and use "\Seen", "\Deleted", etc as IMAP does, including the
backslash. Dealing with the backslash can mean some icky-looking
code, but it shouldn't be a big problem.
- add API for working with arbitrary tags. I think I'll start with
steps/mail/mark.inc. I need to investigate exactly what this file is
and when it gets called, though.
- UI for tags. Not sure whether to clone GMail or what. Input would
be especially appreciated here, I have a little UI-fu but I'm not a
designer.

I'll report my progress in this forum thread -> http://
roundcubeforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=340.0
I welcome all questions, comments, suggestions, corrections, and flames!

-joe