Filtering spam with SpamAssassin header

Brett Patterson brett at bpatterson.net
Thu Aug 17 14:06:37 CEST 2006

I've been reading all the thoughts presented on the list.  While  I
agree that SPAM or Junk mail needs to be addressed, I don't think it
should be Roundcube's job to handle the SPAM.   That's why there are 3rd
party scripts out there (SpamAssassin) that do this.  To me, it would
make much more sense (and be faster) if it were done on the IMAP server
side (MTU side?).  Roundcube should at least *recognize* SPAM flags (as
we all know there's more than one spam flag, and no unified
specification).  So having roundcube recognize that SPAM is in one of
the flags somewhere would help.

But RC should not be the way to set up the SPAM rules.  RC isn't meant
to be a WHCP (Web Host Control Panel) and keeping it simplistic would go
straight out the window with creating SPAM rules.  Not only would you
now have to add code dealing with SPAM, you'd have to look at every
server configuration and the dealing with SPAM and exactly how they mark
it, move it, or if it's just flagged.  Then possibly create X many
scripts doing the same thing but per X different servers.  Seems irrational.

I think highlighting the message if a flag is found to have SPAM in the
flag name is a good idea (not sure of the patch submitted).  I like the
idea of message rules, but even most webmail systems don't deal with
flags.  Squirrelmail doesn't mark SPAM.  The IMAP server marks the
SPAM.  Even the server (or Thunderbird or whatever non-webmail-client)
create the rules to move a message based upon whatever rules they have
in place.  I think RC should have the message rules, but not the
automatic creation of SPAM folder & SPAM marking.  SPAM should be
handled IMAP side, and message rules can come to the settings panel.

Just my personal feelings.  Any thoughts?

~Brett