Filtering spam with SpamAssassin header

Martin Marques martin at bugs.unl.edu.ar
Sat Aug 19 15:01:46 CEST 2006

On Thu, 17 Aug 2006, Brett Patterson wrote:

> Martin:
>
> I agree totally about adding the visual header line; however, what about
> quick icon or changing of color in the message list?  Personally I like
> looking at a message that's not spam, or deleting it quickly.  Just so
> there's no chance a silent return receipt is sent, or images aren't
> downloaded thus proving your address is real.

Two things here:

1) Images aren't downloaded automaticaly in RC.[1]
2) I hope RC doesn't send silent return receipt. At least it should be
configurable.[2]

> I was just suggesting a different color for the message list (like pink or
> orange) that is out of the norm so people can see quickly that the message
> *might* be SPAM.

What do you do with mails that come with more then one spam header?

Example:

I use bogofilter, and for me, the only header I look at is X-bogosity and
no other to determine if a mail is spam or not. This is because "I" feed
bogofilter, and "I" tell him what is spam for me. The same mail that
bogofilter says is good could have a spamassasine header from another MTA
saying it's spam, but why would I bother?

I'm not saying it's not a good aproche to add color to the mails. What I'm
trying to say is that we need to put those colos based on good knowledge
of what is spam for THAT user in particular.

[1]: It would be nice to have something like gmail has in which you can
tell RC to always download images from certain sites (that would be saves
in the users preferences).

[2]: Is there any talk about the lack of configuration RC has?

--
  21:50:04 up 2 days,  9:07,  0 users,  load average: 0.92, 0.37, 0.18