Client rewrite for RoundCube

Michael Bueker m.bueker at berlin.de
Mon Aug 28 13:13:31 CEST 2006

Thomas Bruederli wrote:
> Actually I agree with a rewrite as you suggested, the only
> disadvantage I see, is that this will take some time and it will stop
> the current development because merging could become very difficult.
> That's also the reason, why I cc-ed the mailing list because that's a
> task that concerns all developers. For me, it's no problem because
> I'll go on holiday for more than a month soon and will not work on the
> project then.

I can't really judge roundcube's need for an interface rewrite, although
I would have some suggestions if that were to be done.

However, it probably would really slow down development, which I think
shouldn't happen before the 0.1 release. IMHO, the best thing to do
would be to finish up 0.1rc, debug it for a few weeks and then release
0.1. When that's released, we can continue supporting it, but also start
developing an 0.2alpha, which would feature the new client.

That way, we'd have a nice and stable 0.1 for production use and enough
time to thoroughly make the new interface for 0.2.

I don't think maintaining the two branches at a time would be too
difficult. Important bugfixes should still be made to the 0.1 branch,
but not much more.

There's my 2 cents :)

mtu

--
I remember 20 years ago when young lady was just getting into email she
ask me if a virus could be spread by email. I just laughed and said no,