IMAP SORT

Joe Auricchio jauricchio.lists at gmail.com
Thu Aug 31 00:55:42 CEST 2006

Hi Andrew,

> RoundCube then resorts to sorting the messages itself...  I guess
> the question is.. why is Roundcube sending "s SORT (DATE)..."?
> What is this 's'?

The 's' is a tag. All commands sent from the client to the server
start with a tag specified by the client. All responses to that
command will have the same tag, so the client can keep track of which
command the server is responding to. In this case, RC is using the
unimaginative tag 's' to designate its sort commands.

RFC 3501 says it better:
http://www.apps.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3501.html#sec-2.2.1

The 's' is valid syntax, so it's not causing the BAD response. Hope
this helps direct your investigation =]

-joe