IMAP SORT

Andrew Fladmark afladmark at orbital-web.com
Thu Aug 31 01:36:31 CEST 2006

On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 15:55:42 -0700, Joe Auricchio <jauricchio.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Andrew,
>
>> RoundCube then resorts to sorting the messages itself...  I guess
>> the question is.. why is Roundcube sending "s SORT (DATE)..."?
>> What is this 's'?
>
> The 's' is a tag. All commands sent from the client to the server
> start with a tag specified by the client. All responses to that
> command will have the same tag, so the client can keep track of which
> command the server is responding to. In this case, RC is using the
> unimaginative tag 's' to designate its sort commands.
>
> RFC 3501 says it better:
> http://www.apps.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3501.html#sec-2.2.1
>
> The 's' is valid syntax, so it's not causing the BAD response. Hope
> this helps direct your investigation =]
>
> -joe

Thanks Joe!

Forgive my ignorance.  I've done some more testing and it seems that the issue is the fact that RoundCube is not including UID in the command its sending to my IMAP server.

RoundCube is sending:

s SORT (DATE) US-ASCII ALL UNDELETED

This returns an error, but when I alter the command and test as:

s UID SORT (DATE) US-ASCII ALL UNDELETED

It works perfectly.

I notice in the imap library code we now have a parameter which controls whether or not UID sort should be used... Does anyone have any ideas why it wouldn't be set true? Is there something I need to change or should it be autodetected?

Thanks as always for the help!

Andrew