Webmail competition

Jim Pingle lists at pingle.org
Thu Dec 21 02:17:59 CET 2006

Thomas Bruederli wrote:
> Looks like the others are getting closer:
>
> Gmail like AJAX powered Web 2.0 version of IMP
> http://janschneider.de/news/25/252
>
> Duroty System (BETA) is the open source Gmail
> http://www.duroty.com/en/index.jsp

They may be getting closer, but they'll never be RoundCube. :)

> The main problem of RoundCube is the project manager's lack of time and
> as a consequence of that the bad project organization, both my faults.
> If somebody thinks he or she could afford some time (actually it's a
> full-time job) and who has some experience in project management, I'm
> willing to give away the "power" and become a regular developer (that's
> what I really am).

I've been trying to contribute time where I can, checking the trouble
tickets for dupes, tickets that should have been closed long ago, and trying
to get more information out of the people who opened the tickets. (Not to
mention while doing that I have run across a few other bugs.) The less
duplicate/invalid tickets that are out there, the easier the job is for the
developers.

On occasion, I get into coding a bit. Unfortunately, getting enough free
time to get that far into a project is rare during this time of year. I had
a course in college on project management (I have a BS in Information
Systems), but in my day job I am a sysadmin at an ISP and to a lesser degree
a developer. I could help a little with project management, but not enough
to take on the whole thing. I can probably help contribute more in some
other areas, though.

My boss loves RoundCube and so does every user I've let try it. Due to that,
I *might* be able to provide some sandbox setups for testing different IMAP
server/OS combinations if people think it's worth it and my boss approves.
Hardware isn't a problem.

I also do a bit of tech writing. If there are areas of documentation that
anyone thinks could use some work, I'd be happy to help out there, too.

I think it would be a big help if the ticket system was used more
effectively. An unfortunate limitation of Trac (or my knowledge of it) is
that it doesn't allow you to order the tickets by their last update. The
timeline is nice, but tickets can sort of get lost if they're not checked
periodically. I have been "babysitting" a few tickets to see if anyone
responds to them. If I update a ticket a year after someone opens it, odds
are they aren't going to be responding soon with more information.

Also, it would be nice if there were some sort of a rating/grading on the
tickets (Though I suppose this more of an issue for the people who make
Trac...). Something to the effect of voting for a ticket, or a button
someone can push to say "me too" without having to actually post to the
ticket. If enough people vote, it might get nudged higher in priority.

Also, the tickets are listed by priority, but is it documented anywhere if 1
is the highest (as in most important) priority or 10?

Let me know if you need anything,

Jim