Webmail competition

Brennan Stehling brennan at offwhite.net
Thu Dec 21 03:12:39 CET 2006

Jim,

You can learn more about the ticket reports here...

http://trac.roundcube.net./trac.cgi/wiki/TracReports

You can see how to add new queries.  You can also set the priority and severity as well as associating it with a milestone.  Among those 3 pivot points there is a good deal of planning we can do.  I think the voting idea would work but we can simply put up a vote on specific issues occasionally.  On Apache projects they do it simply by posting an email to the list and letting everyone vote on each item.  The team lead keeps track of it and adjust the priorities based on the results.  That way it stays within the team.

I do like the idea of a few test environments.  I think we can do it all on the same server.  It just needs a separate website per install with a separate db for each one.  I have a FreeBSD server and could set up a test environment.  Perhaps you could help me with an automatic provisioning system to deploy updates daily or weekly and automate some tests using Selenium.  Dropping the db and rebuilding it with the latest update, generating a series of test emails and loading up the Selenium tests would not be all that difficult.  And that does not require programming experience, but with your SA background you would know what to do.

What I do not know yet is how to run the Selenium scripts on a server like FreeBSD or Linux.  I suppose I could have a job run on a Windows server which has FireFox and MSIE installed so it can run the Selenium scripts.  Of course someone could start the Selenium tests manually.

But I also do not have time till mid January.

Brennan

--
Brennan Stehling
Offwhite.net LLC