Webmail competition

Thomas Bruederli roundcube at gmail.com
Fri Dec 22 20:37:11 CET 2006

Hello everybody

First I'd like to thank you all for the strong support offered to the
project and especially in this thread. I didn't want to make things bad
but as the project grows I think it's a good time to take a break and
look around to see what we have brought up so far and where we would
like to go.

As when RoundCube started, it was just a tool for my personal needs and
it worked well on my Mac box with MySQL and the IMAP server of my
choice. But once it got a bit more popular requests came to support
Postgres, SQLite, MSSQL and I had to learn that there are other IMAP
servers with different behaviors as well as ISO-8859-1 does not cover
all the world. Last but not least I learned a lot about security and of
course multipart mails :-) It is also very interesting for me to chat
with lots of people who are interested in RoundCube and who have
problems or requests. But it suddenly started to overcharge me and then
I'm unhappy because I cannot serve all people's wishes and because I'm
stuck with answering mails and checking new tickets and not having the
time to code.

And here we are now, 1.5 years after the creation of the sourceforge
project. As Tor Bendiksen stated correctly, I really believe in the
success of RoundCube and I'll do my very best to lead the project into a
bright future. Thanks a lot to Jim who tidied up the tickets, this is
something very important and to be honest, I really lost control over
the numerous incoming tickets.

I like the suggestions of Brennan and others about some more hierarchy
in the project organization and also real-time chats/talks could improve
the project management. Personally I prefer Skype because that's what
runs all the time when my computer is on. I'm not sure about the
possibility to get all together at the same time because we're all
spread over several continents but I'll try to make an appointment
somewhere in January. Until then I'd like to get together a list of
active contributers who are willing to spend a certain amount of time
per month on the project. Not only developers but sys admins who can do
testing and reporting. It's important to assigns certain
responsibilities to these persons in order to have the tickets assigned
correctly. I always told the devs to assigns tickets to their users but
this doesn't work as expected...

To start  with, I opened a new wiki page
http://trac.roundcube.net/trac.cgi/wiki/Dev_Members where you guys
please register yourself with your preferred occupation. I hot this will
help us delegate tasks to the right person.

For the future steps and upcoming releases I also like Brennan's
suggestion to keep a branch for every public release in order to
maintain bugfixes and security fixes on only in trunk. It's up to me to
organize the repository accordingly.

I also promise to write some development/coding guidelines and to put
together some basic description about the structure and functionality of
RoundCube. This is certainly necessary for new developers to get started.

As you could see on the mailing list, there have been many posts with
patches introducing new features like message filtering and more. Nice
work but for now, we should concentrate on bugfixing because new
features mostly cause new bugs. Looks like we should publish a new beta
(would be 0.1-beta3 then) with the latest fixes but without new features
like TinyMCE and preview pane. Those are not well tested and still have
some issues. My next task will be the re-write of the address book and
to get the LDAP access back into the trunk.

Finally I'd like to thank you all for your support, your contribution
and your belief in RoundCube!

With my best regards

Thomas