Gmail-like conversation grouping

Steve Block scblock at ev-15.com
Fri Dec 29 22:26:32 CET 2006

On Fri, Dec 29, 2006 at 05:36:20PM -0300, Pablo Manuel Rizzo wrote:
>On 12/29/06, Hans-Christian Otto <c.otto at lab9.de> wrote:
>> > In other words, the gmail style view is a killer feature for some
>> > people, so if roundcube can offer it as a choice that would be great
>> > from my point of view. Traditional threading is also a nice choice and
>> > it would be great if they could both be integrated.
>>Well,
>>I guess that one should check whether google has a patent for this kind of
>>viewing mails. I don't know, but I'd say you should check this before
>>starting to implement it...
>>Just my few cents,
>>Greetings.
>
>That's ridiculous. A patent on that! Makes no sense. And why should I
>care? I would implement thousands of webmails with that
>functionallity, and that's it, they couldn't fight against that.
>Duroty already have this functionallity, they say Duroty is the
>OpenSource Gmail, and they even have a Google-group.
>No, I don't care patents, I make the software Free.

I haven't looked to see if there is a patent, but your blustering is not
really useful if there is. And a patent on that idea would make sense.
Before GMail I had never seen conversation threading in that form. It
probably meets all of the patent requirements.

That said, it would be a nice feature. But like with any other project
it pays to be careful.

--
Steve