3 new feature ideas.

Paul Waring paul at xk7.net
Fri Dec 29 22:53:13 CET 2006

Michael Phillips wrote:
> I would like to add some functionality to roundcube.
> 1. The ability to check box to automatically sign in next time  or to
> just save the login.  The information would be stored in a cookie that
> expired in like 30 years,  if people on the development team think its
> ok to store the password it would be done in a hash obviously but
> everyone's imap/pop client would have to support the hash then.

I think that this would be a useful option to have as well - Thunderbird
can remember my IMAP username/password if I want it to and I would like
to see the same functionality in Roundcube at some point. Plenty of
sites already have this sort of feature, so I don't think it's too
difficult to implement, though it may be necessary to save the IMAP
username/password as plaintext in the database (or using two-way
encryption) to support this.

> 3. GnUPG support, I would like to add the ability sign or encrypt
> messages.  A user could paste their private key into a form that then
> saved it on the server in sql.  There is probably a huge security issue
> with saving private keys on a server.  I don't know of a php API, I
> would most likely use exec();

I don't bother encrypting email myself, but I can see this being a
useful feature to have for people who do use GPG. I'm not sure how you'd
handle the security implications of storing private keys in the database
though.

Paul