Webmail competition

Brennan Stehling brennan at offwhite.net
Thu Dec 21 04:53:40 CET 2006

Jim,

I would not be concerned with testing multiple versions of Apache, PHP or MySQL with RC.  I think most bugs we will encounter will be related to coding errors which will work universally the same in various hosting combinations.  The same goes for browsers to a lesser degree.  I would expect that the developers working on the project are already skillful enough to avoid the browser-specific problems that are well known at this point.  That said, I think testing FireFox and MSIE on Windows will cover a vast majority of user environments.  It would be nice to test Opera and Safari, but in my experience those browsers track pretty well with features in FireFox, such as a very similar AJAX system.  When I develop something advanced with Javascript I do it test it FireFox during development and when I am wrapping it up I test it on Safari and very infrequently have a problem.  And most of the time it is an easy fix.

As sending out test messages for the automatically updated RC installs, you could just use the mail command on Linux/FreeBSD server.  It is something like...

cat message1.txt | mail -t person at here.com

The text file just has the contents of an email message including the mail headers.  I would expect we can set it up to do attachments as well as add spam headers for that sort of testing.  I think we just need to configure the mail server to bypass the spam filter so that we can set our own headers specifically for testing purposes.

As for RC versions, I would track the current development and the active branches.  Right now I believe we do not have a major releases.  I do not see specific releases under branches yet.

http://trac.roundcube.net./trac.cgi/browser/branches

Here is how I do releases...

http://svn.offwhite.net/trac/SmallSharpTools.ImageResizer/browser/branches

Once we get past the 0.1 release we can track 0.1 for a while until we have 0.2 and 0.1 goes inactive.  So we just need 2 actively running test environments.  However, if you want to try out multiple IMAP backends and databases I do see a reason to do that.  There are significant differences between MySQL and Postgres and the various IMAP servers.  That is where multiple servers could be useful.  In the short term I would focus on the most actively used db and IMAP server and expand as the project grows.  I think the testing of the IMAP and db communications could be done outside the confines of a full web deployment.  Adding layers of functionality on top of these core integration points will make it harder to get at the root cause of a problem.  If we can discover that RC has trouble talking to a specific db version before it goes out to the full RC setup than we will save a good deal of time and effort.

Brennan

--
Brennan Stehling
Offwhite.net LLC