1388203 - Reuse HTTP authentication for login-PATCH_V2

Black.myst black.myst at free.fr
Thu Dec 21 23:21:54 CET 2006

Brennan Stehling a écrit :
> I suppose you could make this a layered approach where you use the HTTP
> authentication to control access and get the username.  But then you save
> the password for that user as a preference.
Yes, I could. But to do this, I need to save the password in database
and I don't want to do this for security reason. On my system, passwords
were hashed in /etc/shadow and I want no see it somewhere else.

Currently, I know that password is in session, so in the database... But
I will fix this problem the next week. With Http_Authent, I don't need
to set the password in session.

> Another option is to use InfoCards.  Here is a very interesting use of it.
>
> https://www.identityblog.com/wp-login.php
>
> That is a PHP blog (Wordpress) but it allows InfoCard for logging into the  > system.  There is an extension for FireFox and Safari.  There is a
native
> feature for Windows called Cardspace which is included in Vista and MSIE 7.
> An InfoCard can securely hold the IMAP username and password.
Maybe. But currently, nobody needs this feature :-)

Black Myst