Webmail competition

Brett Patterson brett at bpatterson.net
Sun Dec 24 06:55:23 CET 2006

Brennan Stehling wrote:

>> Seems like the answering mail could be helped out by moving any support
>> requests, feature requests and the like to a general account somewhere
>> that
>> multiple people could have a login for. I'm not sure the volume is high
>> enough to warrant something such as OTRS (http://otrs.org/) but having a
>> few
>> people who can answer the mail can help. Alternately, you could stop
>> taking
>> such requests via e-mail, and encourage people to post such things in the
>> forum or mailing lists where they can be handled by the community at
>> large.
>>

> Jim and Thomas,
>
> Encouraging the use of the forums is a good way to go.  Unfortunately people are likely discouraged because you have to create an account to post their bug report or feature request.  (Also the forums are currently offline)

Sorry about that.  Had to run from MD to NC and back.  I fixed it.
Certain tables keep crashing.  I plan on having that issue resolved in
January with a new release of the forum.
> What I would do is this...
>
> 1) Requests are sent to support at roundcube.net
> 2) Incoming messages are automatically posted to the forums as new threads (perhaps in a Developer only section)
> 3) As testers/developers we can subscribe to email notifications for this forum section (or perhaps get an RSS feed)

That would be pretty easy.  One thing I'd like to maybe add is that
support at roundcube.net gets forwarded to dev-incoming at roundcubeforum.net
so I can do the parsing and such on my side.  Makes things much easier
for me to keep up on.
> Then we can get notifications for the incoming issues and discuss it on the forum.  I like the RSS option because I can subscribe to it with my RSS reader of choice or as a Live Bookmark in FireFox.  I already have more than enough messages in my inbox and would rather use RSS or this sort of communication.

As for the RSS / Live Bookmark feed, SMF (the software we're using for
the forum) has this built-in and I've got it enabled.

Thomas knows my plans for the forum.  If we can decide whether we want a
development board or not, I can set one up at dev.roundcubeforum.net.
I'd close registration so that you'd have to email me thus restricting
that board to devs only (or I can open it up, y'alls choice).  Lots of
plans, hopefully the "new" forum will be up and running by late January.

I will divulge this:
-- A new theme is coming, one that is more Roundcube
-- More integration with Trac is coming too ;)

~Brett