3 new feature ideas.

Thomas Bruederli roundcube at gmail.com
Sun Dec 31 15:59:17 CET 2006

Michael Phillips wrote:
> I would like to add some functionality to roundcube.
> 1. The ability to check box to automatically sign in next time  or to
> just save the login.  The information would be stored in a cookie that
> expired in like 30 years,  if people on the development team think its
> ok to store the password it would be done in a hash obviously but
> everyone's imap/pop client would have to support the hash then.

There already was a discussion about it and could be a nice feature. We
already have a password encryption mechanism which could be used here.

> 2. For visually impaired people, have a selector for font size that
> simply changes the css or a high contrast theme.  I think it would also
> be neat to use flite (http://www.speech.cs.cmu.edu/flite/doc/index.html)
> for text to speech.  There would be a link that could be enabled which
> when clicked would let them save the message as a wav file, then play it
> back in audio form.  I already do this for captchas on my websites. I'm
> sure most visually impaired people already have software on their
> computer do this, but they are probably all windows people.  this could
> allow visually impaired people in linux or other less supported OSs to
> get an audio version of their email.   Some web applications sport a
> logo indicating compliance with http://www.section508.gov/.

It is very hard to create output for screen readers from within an AJAX
application. To achieve this we have to make a non-js/non-ajax version
of RoundCube first. After that we can start talking about this topic
again. In general I suggest to use (or build) another web-based IMAP
client that relies on simple and valid (X)HTML output. Same statement as
for mobile clients.

> 3. GnUPG support, I would like to add the ability sign or encrypt
> messages.  A user could paste their private key into a form that then
> saved it on the server in sql.  There is probably a huge security issue
> with saving private keys on a server.  I don't know of a php API, I
> would most likely use exec();

This is on the road map but not a recent task.

> Please email me any comments, questions or concerns.
>
> Michael Phillips

Regards,
Thomas