Roundcube merger - Ideas from atmail

Paul Waring pwaring at gmail.com
Wed Jul 26 14:10:32 CEST 2006

On 26/07/06, Thomas Bruederli <roundcube at gmail.com> wrote:
> Just wanted to forward a mail I've got yesterday and would like to
> hear your opinions about this topic. Either this could make RoundCube
> grow faster or atmail just wants to get rid of some (more and more
> serious) competition.

Their home page reads:

"Filtering out the white noise of growing open-source options, @Mail
is a reliable and complete messaging platform that includes full
source code for complete control."

Doesn't sound as if they're terribly keen on open source to me...

Anyway, if they want the advantages/features of Roundcube, they can
take them, provided they abide by the terms of the GPL. I don't see
why they'd have to license the name or buy the domain if they just
want to improve and open source their existing product. There's also
nothing to stop them offering commercial support for Roundcube if they
want, as far as I'm aware that's perfectly legitimate under the GPL.

Paul