Fwd: Roundcube merger - Ideas from atmail

Brett Patterson brett at bpatterson.net
Wed Jul 26 15:17:49 CEST 2006

Thomas Bruederli wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> Just wanted to forward a mail I've got yesterday and would like to
> hear your opinions about this topic. Either this could make RoundCube
> grow faster or atmail just wants to get rid of some (more and more
> serious) competition.
>
> Don't panic, I didn't decide anything yet and I don't want to get rich
> anyway :-)
>
> Regards,
> Thomas

Wow.... that's all I can say....
This stinks to high heaven to me.... and it looks like something
Microsoft would do to Linux ;)  I personally love Roundcube, and I've
tried @mail (just to gauge the competition) and @mail has some nicer
features that aren't in Roundcube yet.  So it *could* be beneficial for
RC to move that way.  On the other hand, there is stuff like too much
junk in the interface that makes it terrible to use, and just plain slow.

I would hate to see RC be "bought out" even though it technically
can't.  Just the brand can be bought.  The code is solidly GPL.  But if
they buy the brand, we start a fork, and we change domain names... no
big deal.  Although I'd be ticked after getting the forum up and running
having to switch names, themes and such.... :(

Thomas, you do as you want.  But to me, it seems like they see you as
being a true competitor when RC reaches it's first real release.  While
we won't have the feature list they have (POP, Customization) we've got
a leg up on them: 30gigs.com is using RC as their webmail.  I don't know
anyone that uses @mail currently.

Don't think too lightly on this one.... really weigh out what would
happen to RC... I see nothing good coming of this....

~Brett