Roundcube merger - Ideas from atmail

richs at whidbey.net richs at whidbey.net
Wed Jul 26 18:13:31 CEST 2006

On Jul 26, 2006, at 12:49 AM, Thomas Bruederli wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> Just wanted to forward a mail I've got yesterday and would like to
> hear your opinions about this topic. Either this could make RoundCube
> grow faster or atmail just wants to get rid of some (more and more
> serious) competition.
>
> Don't panic, I didn't decide anything yet and I don't want to get rich
> anyway :-)
>
> Regards,
> Thomas

Their webmail interface seems like a nice RoundCube skin (with a few
more mature features, and a few missing ones). It would make sense
that they wouldn't want to duplicate efforts.

If @Mail wants to inject some funding and/or code into RoundCube, in
exchange for packaging it with their product, I wouldn't see why
not.  Many companies do this, such as Lyris MailShield who uses
SpamAssassin in their product.

But, it sounds like they want to "take over" RoundCube, and turn it
into a commercial product (with an open-source "lite" version?). I
think the GPL states that all derivative sources must be made
available "as a whole at no charge".

I'd rather see RC stay as it is; an independent open-source project
compatible with a variety of mail systems.  @Mail should be welcomed
to contribute like other companies involved, but RC shouldn't become
an "@Mail"-biased solution.

Rich