Roundcube merger - Ideas from atmail

Jason Dixon jason at dixongroup.net
Wed Jul 26 12:32:24 CEST 2006

On Jul 26, 2006, at 3:49 AM, Thomas Bruederli wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> Just wanted to forward a mail I've got yesterday and would like to
> hear your opinions about this topic. Either this could make RoundCube
> grow faster or atmail just wants to get rid of some (more and more
> serious) competition.
>
> Don't panic, I didn't decide anything yet and I don't want to get rich
> anyway :-)

I can't blame anyone for wanting to make a living off their work, if
that was your intent.  Reading the email, it does indeed appear to be
a veiled attempt at taking over your work and casting you aside
shortly thereafter.  Looking at their product, I have to say that it
is unintuitive, and not at all cohesive.  It takes many of the bad
things about Horde and tries to put a sugar-coated interface on top
of it.

If they were truly interested in Open Source as they insist, why
wouldn't they open up a subset of their version?  Rather than buying
out an already successful FOSS project and (potentially) stifling its
progress?  The comments section at Freshmeat has some unflattering
bits as well (http://freshmeat.net/projects/atmail/).

Just my $0.02.

--
Jason Dixon