UTF problems (bugs)

Thomas Bruederli roundcube at gmail.com
Tue Mar 14 17:01:51 CET 2006

Håkan Lindqvist wrote:
> On tis, 2006-03-14 at 16:35 +0100, Thomas Bruederli wrote:
>> I guess they aren't. An entity like ü represents a single byte char
>> (ASCII 252; "ü" in ISO-8859-1). As far as I know the browser will not
>> display this entity correctly because it expects double-byte characters.
>
> Oh! You're probably right about that, I didn't even think about that
> nasty variant of html entities.
>
> The "correct" way of encoding ü would obviously be ü, which is what
> I was thinking of.
>
> /Håkan

After a short test, I have to correct myself: FF and IE display all html
entities correctly (even the single-byte chars). In that case it's not
necessary to write a function that will convert those.

But I have no idea why the characters in Martin's mails are not
displayed correctly. The only reason I can imagine is that there's no
charset specified in the mail/part headers. Could you check that Martin?

Regards,
Thomas