Unimplemented features?

Colin Alston karnaugh at karnaugh.za.net
Fri May 5 15:18:56 CEST 2006

Charles McNulty wrote:
> Jon Daley wrote:
>>
>>     I believe there have been a half dozen offers for hosting
>> subversion (myself included).  Thomas or Charles wrote back to me and
>> said thanks, but it wasn't needed, and that they expected to switch
>> to SF's svn at some point.  And since I now mirror the cvs tree in
>> subversion for keeping my own local revisions merged, I offered to
>> publicize that, but that was also turned down.
>
> Well, wasn't me, so it must have been Thomas, but from my perspective
> I definitely prefer a hosting provider such as sourceforge as opposed
> to a volunteer no matter how dedicated or experienced they are.  The
> advantages of sourceforge are that 1) They won't burn out from all the
> work associated with hosting 2) They won't decide to stop hosting over
> disagreement with the direction of the project or personality
> disagreements. 3) redundancy in terms of personel.  In other words if
> the volunteer hosting the project is abducted by aliens, we'd be up
> the crick.
>
> Now obviously sf.net has some serious problems.  I don't know how a
> hardware problem could possibly in a million years lead to a month of
> downtime.  And I can't imagine how sf.net imagines that this is
> acceptable.  I'd be open to moving to something else like sf.net
> (perhaps savannah.org) or switching to svn, but there are too many
> potential pitfalls to handing off hosting to a volunteer, IMO.

While that is totally understandable, and I do agree, you should
understand peoples frustrations since RoundCube is such a very promising
project.

The only solution, although not in RC's favor, is that it is branched by
someone who does have the capacity to provide reliable development
services to people who are submitting patches or want access to bleeding
edge code so as to make patches as well as have proper bug tracking.

SourceForge is great, but it leaves a lot to be desired and there are
also many other tools which allow people to be more productive than the
in-house SF systems.

If you're willing at all to hear peoples donations in terms of hosting
and repo, perhaps it would be at least worthwhile for people to put
their whole offer on the table.

--
Colin Alston <karnaugh at karnaugh.za.net>
http://www.karnaugh.za.net/

"There have been hacker forums where, out of some misguided sense of hyper-courtesy, participants are banned from posting any fault-finding with another's posts, and told ''Don't say anything if you're unwilling to help the user.'' The resulting departure of clueful participants to elsewhere causes them to descend into meaningless babble and become useless as technical forums." - Eric Steven Raymond