E-mail subject -> hyperlinks

Charles McNulty charles at charlesmcnulty.com
Fri May 5 15:47:59 CEST 2006

Richard Green wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Something I have noticed and I'm not sure whether this has been
> attempted before and hence there's a good reason for it not being
> implemented, but can we make the subjects of e-mails become
> hyperlinks so that you can just click on them to view the mail? ...

The front page of www.roundcube.net states that Roundcube is aiming for
an "application-like user interface"  For me this is the central reason
for both my use and development on roundcube.  In particular
differentiating single clicks from double-clicks is what allowed the
possibility for clicking and dragging a message into a folder, using
shift-click to select multiple messsages (though this is technicaly
possibly with a "checkbox" system) and I believe it will continue to
allow future gains in functionality.

I think it's exciting that roundcube has junked all of the conventions
of being a "web application" which if the buzz about web 2.0 and ajax
means anything is *long* overdue.  In other words stop thinking of
roundcube as a web application and try to think of it as a desktop
application that just happens to use a browser as its framework.

-Charles

PS.  Brent, would it be possible for you to address this question in the
FAQ section of the forums?  It seems to come up a lot.