E-mail subject -> hyperlinks

Richard Green rich at rdgreen.eu
Sat May 6 09:51:10 CEST 2006

Charles McNulty wrote:
> Well, obviously RC is highly dependent on javascript, which is totally
> browser dependent.  I don't know to what degree if any mobile browsers
> implement javascript.  In other words, single-clicking vs.
> double-clicking on a cell phone is just the tip of the iceberg in terms
> of problems using RC on a cell phone.  I guess the question is, what
> browser does the cell phone use? (if it's even possible to get that
> info) , does that browser implement javascript? and is there a way to
> run that browser on a workstation instead of just a cell so that people
> can test it without having to get the phone?
>
> -Charles

 From my web logs, my phone reports itself as:

SAMSUNG-SGH-D500/1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1
UP.Browser/6.2.3.3.c.1.101 (GUI) MMP/2.0

But no, it doesn't support javascript.

I guess that you don't subscribe to the belief of gracious degradation
then. To me javascript, while being capable of performing wonderful
usability enhancing functions, should never be a requirement. Web pages
and applications should be able to function perfectly well with JS
disabled; JS can certainly be used to make things easier and flashier,
but not at the cost of accessibility. I thoroughly recommend reading A
List Apart http://www.alistapart.com; they have many many articles about
accessibility, none of which advocates reducing your web site /
application to an archaic state all in the name of accessibility.

I realise that the majority of the functions within the application rely
on javascript and I am certainly not trying to say it should all be
rewritten, but I think that you should at least provide the ability to
READ e-mails for those people using browsers without javascript support.

Kevin L. wrote:
> I totally understand and agree with Charles' response, and the last
> thing I would like to see would be hyper links all over the place as
> the current setup is quite beautiful

Never heard of CSS? How can something as innocuous as a simple hyperlink
make a page ugly? If it's the underlines that bother you, CSS has a
remarkable ability that can come to the rescue here...

I will have a play with this this weekend and I will try and see how the
  application functions with added hyperlinks. If I think I can get it
to work without breaking any other functions then I will submit the
changes to this list for comment.

Thanks,
Richard