new behaviors after CVS upgrade

Martin Marques martin at bugs.unl.edu.ar
Thu May 18 20:51:11 CEST 2006

On Mon, 15 May 2006 14:31:45 -0400, Brett Patterson - Roundcube Forum Admin <brett at roundcubeforum.net> wrote:
> But I believe Charles' argument is that this is a Web Desktop
> application, not just another webmail project.  So it's meant to emulate
> a desktop app on the web.  I haven't noticed it, so I can't comment, but
> I can say that moving the selection to the next item is what I like in
> Thunderbird.  Perhaps this can be user definable: Move to next item on
> delete: Yes/No.

I still don't agree with this behavior. It looks totally unnatural. But I thought maybe it's just MHO, so I starting asking mail users (and a par of programmers that work with me) about the behavior of the mail client, and I have to say that I couldn't find one that would think the behavior is OK. One user said that "the selection is an action that the user should do, not the aplication".

Also, the selection marker is moving backwards! :-( So I don't get the next message, but the previous one

So here is my thought about it:

- There has to be an option to how to treat selection after an action has been executed over the message. The option should, not only be configurable in which direction to move (forward or backward), but also in if it should select or not another message. You can leave the default behavior to be "move to the next message", and let user decide what is best for him/her.

I have to say that without this option, I'm going to have a very hard time trying to impose RC on our network.

P.D.: Is RC moving to become "Thunderbird inside Firefox"? :-)