E-mail subject -> hyperlinks

Bezaleel Support support at bezaleel.net
Fri May 5 17:02:36 CEST 2006

Charles McNulty wrote:
> Richard Green wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Something I have noticed and I'm not sure whether this has been
>> attempted before and hence there's a good reason for it not being
>> implemented, but can we make the subjects of e-mails become
>> hyperlinks so that you can just click on them to view the mail? ...
>
> The front page of www.roundcube.net states that Roundcube is aiming
> for an "application-like user interface"  For me this is the central
> reason for both my use and development on roundcube.  In particular
> differentiating single clicks from double-clicks is what allowed the
> possibility for clicking and dragging a message into a folder, using
> shift-click to select multiple messsages (though this is technicaly
> possibly with a "checkbox" system) and I believe it will continue to
> allow future gains in functionality.
>
> I think it's exciting that roundcube has junked all of the conventions
> of being a "web application" which if the buzz about web 2.0 and ajax
> means anything is *long* overdue.  In other words stop thinking of
> roundcube as a web application and try to think of it as a desktop
> application that just happens to use a browser as its framework.
>

> -Charles
>
> PS.  Brent, would it be possible for you to address this question in
> the FAQ section of the forums?  It seems to come up a lot.

Is there no way to have the system default to such behavior for mobile
users? IE - if my mobile device has no such support, then it might
display slightly different. Perhaps a VERY watered-down version of RC?

I totally understand and agree with Charles' response, and the last
thing I would like to see would be hyper links all over the place as the
current setup is quite beautiful. However, if I were to replace our
current web mail system (Squirrel Mail) with RC, then I am sure my
mobile users might have a complaint or two similar to Richard's.
(Assuming those users do not use a mobile mail client or that I do not
leave a Squirrel Mail install in place for their use....)

Kevin L.