Session timeout, has to be top priority!!!

Jeff Plotzke jeff_ml at plotzke.com
Fri Sep 8 03:31:04 CEST 2006

On Thu, 2006-09-07 at 19:29 -0500, Brennan Stehling wrote:
> GMail allows you to check a box to stay logged in for 2 weeks.
> Otherwise once you close the browser you are logged out of the system.
>
> I like that approach.  But I have been in the middle of writing an
> email when my session did expire.  When I clicked the send button it
> showed me a message that my session had expired but did not move to a
> new screen.  It allowed me to copy the text of my email so that I can
> log back in and continue along by pasting in the text again.
>
> I would prefer it to simply prompt me for my password to reset the
> timeout though.  If I am in the middle of something I do not want to
> be kicked out or interrupted.

Hi.  I'm new to RC and just downloaded it, but I think it's a great app
with a lot of potential.  I'd like to slowly become involved with
development and have been reading this list.

I know the Microsoft Exchange Web Access does something similar.  When
you enter your username/password, there's two choices:  "Public
Computer" (default) which times your session out (after 20 minutes or
so) and "Private Computer" which doesn't time you out at all.

Personally, I think this is a great idea -- Allow the user to choose if
they want to be logged out automatically, but make sure that the 'public
computer' option is default so unknowing users get that.

~Jeff