[RCD] Adding a "Received" header to outbound messages

Martin Kealey roundcube-maint at ihug.co.nz
Wed Dec 12 21:59:31 CET 2007

On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 09:02:33 +0100, till <klimpong at gmail.com> wrote:
> Isn't this what people use the "X-Sender"-header for? If I remember
> correctly that would be the defacto standard - but it would "only"
> contain an IP. ;-)

The "Received" header is a de-jure standard, and I thought we were supposed
to be standards-compliant wherever possible. Furthermore, the formatting
ambiguity and lack of corroborating information in an X-Sender header make
the latter quite untrustworthy.

Perhaps I need to explain further: we have some customers who use webmail,
and others who use "plain" mail clients (e.g. Outlook, Thunderbird etc).

When the latter group sends mail, they connect using SMTP or SMTPS; the
"next hop" mail server -- normally our "official" outbound mail server --
inserts a received header that records the sending IP address and
timestamp.

We want the same thing to happen when they send mail using HTTP rather than
SMTP.

This information is used when the customer sends spam and it gets sent back
to our "abuse" dept; we have tools that can automatically extract the
customer info from such a report, and do it in a way that minimizes the
chance of an innocent customer being banned as a result of a forged report.

-Martin