[RCD] Hello, I am new - filters

emi at algorismia.com emi at algorismia.com
Fri Dec 14 13:15:11 CET 2007

Hi again!!
I've made the patch to apply to today's RC version to get filters
management runing. For that, I've made ticket #1484694. If you want to
check it, you know where it is: http://trac.roundcube.net/ticket/1484694

> And as for
> sieve, i think we can add up another tab in the filters part itself and
> provide it as sieve interface. As sieve has to get executed in the
> servers, it the issuse of the mailserver admins to set up sieve
> directories and enable sieve options for thier Cyrus or what ever.

That's the same situation for the rest of filtering systems. They need to
be administrated by mailserver admins. All we can do is just translate the
info contained into filters sql table to the specific mailfilter system.
Then, all the work is for mailserver admin.

So, if you know Sieve syntax, now it's you who should put this
knowledgement into roundcubemail/bin/sql2filter.php. It's easy to read and
understand.

Now I'm geting info on AJAX to make a really great UI. I think it would be
great to use drag'n'drop functionallity, but not with lists. May be
something similar to artsbuilder UI, it should be as:
 * Every object should have:
    - an up (copy,move,delete,...) or left (if,else,...) connector
    - zero (move,delete,reply,...), one (copy) or more (?) down connectors
    - zero (delete), one (copy,move,reply,...) or more (?) right connectors
 1.- Begin with an object INCOMING MAIL with only one down connector
 2.- Connect objects begining with a condition (or set of conditions) and
ending with the action, as move, copy, delete, reply, forward... Copy
will have 2 down connectors, delete none and move just one.
 3.- With 'copy' connectors you can have a multibranch filter.

A filter example would be that:

+----------+
| Begining |
+----+-----+

     |   +------------------------------+
     O---+ if Subject: contains '[RCD]' |
     |   +---------------+--------------+
     |                   |
     |                   |
     |             + Copy To  +-O-+ MyOtherAccount at otherhost.com |
     |                   O-----+ if From: contains 'MyFriend at himhost.com' |
     |                   |     +-------------+----------------------------+
     |                   |                   |
     |                   |                   O
     |                   |                   |
     |                   |             +-----+----+   +------------+
     |                   |             + Move to  +-O-+ /MyFriend/ +
     |                   |             +----------+   +------------+
     |                  etc.
     |
     |   +---------------------------------+
     O---+ if Subject: contains '**SPAM**' |
     |   +---------------+-----------------+
     |                   |
     |                   |
     |             |  DELETE  |
    etc.

Then we add some config options to allow or disallow kind of objects into
filters, depending on what our filtering system accepts.

Well, dude, I think there's a lot of work to take this (I think) good idea
runing into RC.

Waiting for your (all the RCDev list!) opinions,

emi