RoundCube forces me to kill FireFox

Jim Pingle lists at pingle.org
Fri Jul 6 21:14:41 CEST 2007

David Abrahams wrote:
>> 0.1-rc1.1 ;-)
>>
>> Yes, that's what I mean - please give it a try. Also if you can, test
>> against trunk.
>
> yes, with both those versions, httpd starts to chew up a steadily
> increasing percentage of CPU (it was at 98% within 30 sec).  Firefox
> locks up and needs to be killed.  After killing firefox, httpd
> *very* gradually reduces its CPU load, then seems to hover around 50%
> for a while, then finally gives up and goes back close to
> zero... so I don't have to kill my server; I do have to kill FireFox.
>
> It looks from the outside like roundcube's JavaScript is trying to ask
> the server some big question before it will allow the browser display
> to update.

It might be somewhat hard to pick out the traffic, but have you tried
watching the connection with a tool such as tcpflow? It would let you
monitor what exactly is being communicated back and forth while the CPU load
is high and FF is locked up.

I wonder if it's held up waiting on something, or if it is actually
transferring data at that point. Either way you should be able to capture
the last (few?) request(s) up to the point where it fails. That may go a
long way toward figuring out where the problem lies...

I also wonder if this is related to the others who are seeing high CPU
usage. You might check the recent thread about "100% CPU" to see if you
might also have similar symptoms.

Jim

Jim