RoundCube forces me to kill FireFox

David Abrahams dave at boost-consulting.com
Sat Jul 7 15:38:18 CEST 2007

on Fri Jul 06 2007, Jim Pingle <lists-AT-pingle.org> wrote:

> David Abrahams wrote:
>>> 0.1-rc1.1 ;-)
>>>
>>> Yes, that's what I mean - please give it a try. Also if you can, test
>>> against trunk.
>>
>> yes, with both those versions, httpd starts to chew up a steadily
>> increasing percentage of CPU (it was at 98% within 30 sec).  Firefox
>> locks up and needs to be killed.  After killing firefox, httpd
>> *very* gradually reduces its CPU load, then seems to hover around 50%
>> for a while, then finally gives up and goes back close to
>> zero... so I don't have to kill my server; I do have to kill FireFox.
>>
>> It looks from the outside like roundcube's JavaScript is trying to ask
>> the server some big question before it will allow the browser display
>> to update.
>
> It might be somewhat hard to pick out the traffic, but have you tried
> watching the connection with a tool such as tcpflow? It would let you
> monitor what exactly is being communicated back and forth while the CPU load
> is high and FF is locked up.
>
> I wonder if it's held up waiting on something, or if it is actually
> transferring data at that point. Either way you should be able to capture
> the last (few?) request(s) up to the point where it fails. That may go a
> long way toward figuring out where the problem lies...

There's hardly any traffic during that period.  Unfortunately it's a
bit hard to see what's going on over an https:// connection by looking
at tcpflow. :(

> I also wonder if this is related to the others who are seeing high CPU
> usage. You might check the recent thread about "100% CPU" to see if you
> might also have similar symptoms.

Their symptoms (100% cpu, browser lockup) look like mine, but their
circumstances seem to be mostly different.  It only happens to me
when viewing really large folders.  I'm using Cyrus and not Dovecot.
The IMAP server is on the same machine as the webserver.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting