Going PHP 5

till klimpong at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 18:10:14 CEST 2007

Hey Larry,

On 7/9/07, Larry Garfield <larry at garfieldtech.com> wrote:
> Hello all.  I hope this is the appropriate place to bring this up.  I am a
> RoundCube user, PHP developer, and one of the co-founders of the GoPHP5
> effort.
>
> By now you have probably heard about GoPHP5.  (If not, please see
> http://GoPHP5.org/ for more about it.)  I also recall reading recently that
> RoundCube was considering a move to PHP 5 already.
>
> I suppose it shouldn't come as a surprise that I would be very happy if that
> were true. :-)  In just the few short days that GoPHP5 has been "live", we've
> grown to over 20 projects and over 40 supporting web hosts.  The PHP
> development team is also considering dropping support for PHP 4 next year.
>
> Please consider this a formal invitation for RoundCube to join GoPHP5.  If you
> have any questions, I'll still be on the list so just ask. :-)

Good you made it here. We've had our own personal discussion about
PHP5 if you check the list archives (http://lists.roundcube.net) a
while ago and personally I've followed the discussion on the
mailinglists of SM, PEAR and Smarty - so IMHO this really is the way
to go.

When Thomas gets to his email, I am sure he will comment also on if
we'll commit to your deadline as well. For right now we decided to
make the "devel-vnext" branch PHP5 only and I am in the middle of
porting everything. But (of course) we have no date when it's due.

Cheers,
Till