Going PHP 5

till klimpong at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 02:02:33 CEST 2007

On 7/9/07, Larry Garfield <larry at garfieldtech.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 9 Jul 2007 18:10:14 +0200, till <klimpong at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> By now you have probably heard about GoPHP5.  (If not, please see
> >> http://GoPHP5.org/ for more about it.)  I also recall reading recently
> > that
> >> RoundCube was considering a move to PHP 5 already.
> >>
> >> I suppose it shouldn't come as a surprise that I would be very happy if
> > that
> >> were true. :-)  In just the few short days that GoPHP5 has been "live",
> > we've
> >> grown to over 20 projects and over 40 supporting web hosts.  The PHP
> >> development team is also considering dropping support for PHP 4 next
> > year.
> >>
> >> Please consider this a formal invitation for RoundCube to join GoPHP5.
> > If you
> >> have any questions, I'll still be on the list so just ask. :-)
> >
> > Good you made it here. We've had our own personal discussion about
> > PHP5 if you check the list archives (http://lists.roundcube.net) a
> > while ago and personally I've followed the discussion on the
> > mailinglists of SM, PEAR and Smarty - so IMHO this really is the way
> > to go.
> >
> > When Thomas gets to his email, I am sure he will comment also on if
> > we'll commit to your deadline as well. For right now we decided to
> > make the "devel-vnext" branch PHP5 only and I am in the middle of
> > porting everything. But (of course) we have no date when it's due.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Till
>
> Of course.  Standard open source procedure. :-)  That's great to hear, though.
>
> One of the objections I saw repeated a few times in the earlier thread reading
> through it just now was "there's no killer apps on PHP 5".  I suppose that's subject
> to interpretation, as there's a fair number of quite good PHP 5 apps out there (killer
> or otherwise).  The goal of GoPHP5, however, is to not wait for "the" killer app, but to
> make all of the involved projects together the "killer apps".  If phpMyAdmin, Drupal,
> Symfony, Typo3, RoundCube, etc. all require PHP 5, there's your killer app suite right
> there.

Yeah, well. Personally a framework like Symfony (or Zend Framework in
my case) is killer^H^H^H^reason enough to use PHP5. But I think most
people who commented don't look at it from a developer perspective -
rather system administrators. At least that was my impression.

> How you go about making use of PHP 5 is up to each project.  PHP 5.2 in particular
> adds the ability for PHP apps to give meaningful upload progress meters, for instance.
> That could be useful for adding attachments to messages.  So there are front-end
> improvements that could be made, independent of the other developer benefits that
> PHP 5 offers.

That's actually a pretty good idea, I had a look at the code the other
day and a progress meter wouldn't be so bad. Would you have a link I
could follow?

> If you're already targeting PHP 5 for the next branch, it sounds like RC is already
> moving along.

I hope! :-)

Cheers,
Till