Going PHP 5

Larry Garfield larry at garfieldtech.com
Tue Jul 10 08:03:01 CEST 2007

On Monday 09 July 2007, till wrote:

> > How you go about making use of PHP 5 is up to each project.  PHP 5.2 in
> > particular adds the ability for PHP apps to give meaningful upload
> > progress meters, for instance. That could be useful for adding
> > attachments to messages.  So there are front-end improvements that could
> > be made, independent of the other developer benefits that PHP 5 offers.
>
> That's actually a pretty good idea, I had a look at the code the other
> day and a progress meter wouldn't be so bad. Would you have a link I
> could follow?

A little Googling turned up this:
http://www.dinke.net/blog/2006/11/04/php-52-upload-progress-meter/en/

Looks like it does require APC and JSON, so it probably can't be a feature
that has to work for the system to function, but it is still a very nice
add-on for users who have APC enabled.  (And if you're running a dedicated
box, then you really should have APC on it.)

--
Larry Garfield			AIM: LOLG42
larry at garfieldtech.com		ICQ: 6817012

Jefferson