RoundCube forces me to kill FireFox

David Abrahams dave at boost-consulting.com
Fri Jul 6 22:43:17 CEST 2007

on Fri Jul 06 2007, Jim Pingle <lists-AT-pingle.org> wrote:

> David Abrahams wrote:
>>> 0.1-rc1.1 ;-)
>>>
>>> Yes, that's what I mean - please give it a try. Also if you can, test
>>> against trunk.
>>
>> yes, with both those versions, httpd starts to chew up a steadily
>> increasing percentage of CPU (it was at 98% within 30 sec).  Firefox
>> locks up and needs to be killed.  After killing firefox, httpd
>> *very* gradually reduces its CPU load, then seems to hover around 50%
>> for a while, then finally gives up and goes back close to
>> zero... so I don't have to kill my server; I do have to kill FireFox.
>>
>> It looks from the outside like roundcube's JavaScript is trying to ask
>> the server some big question before it will allow the browser display
>> to update.
>
> It might be somewhat hard to pick out the traffic, but have you tried
> watching the connection with a tool such as tcpflow? It would let you
> monitor what exactly is being communicated back and forth while the CPU load
> is high and FF is locked up.

There's hardly any traffic at all during the hang.

> I wonder if it's held up waiting on something, or if it is actually
> transferring data at that point.

Clearly the former.

> Either way you should be able to capture
> the last (few?) request(s) up to the point where it fails. That may go a
> long way toward figuring out where the problem lies...

Unfortunately it's an SSL connection so I can't see what's in the
data.  I may have to enable an insecure connection temporarily in
order to debug this.

> I also wonder if this is related to the others who are seeing high
> CPU usage. You might check the recent thread about "100% CPU" to see
> if you might also have similar symptoms.

Well the symptoms are similar but I don't think our situations are
similar at all.  This only happens to me when viewing very large
mailboxes.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting