[RCD] Filters

Michael Baierl mail at mbaierl.com
Tue Nov 13 18:33:35 CET 2007

emi at algorismia.com wrote:
>    I've seen some discussion on why not to do it, if doing internally or
> with sieve or with .forward or so. Look, I've done this, then we can
> update to permit select the filtering system from configuration. From
> now, we have internal filters.
Emi,
I don't want to put you down, but I don't think this makes sense. If
Roundcube now implements client side filters this feature has to be
supported 'til the end of days. And this means that they have to support
a feature that does not work as expected, as it only filters on the
client side....

Instead of spending time on implementing something that does not make
sense nor is scaleable with a large amount of messages you should focus on
  -) Implementing the best filter UI ever
  -) Storing filter rules implementation independent in the database
  -) Writing scripts that transform the data into a filter language (i.e.
     Sieve, Maildrop, Procmail...)

That way the users can configure their scripts and the admin can setup a
  cron to pick them up and store them in the appropriate format in the
appropriate place on the server. And if ever a new filter language comes
out you can easily adopt Roundcube to use that system.

Please don't waste time on incomplete features!

My 2 cents,

Mike

--
Michael Baierl