[RCD] Roundcube Licensing question.

Michael Büker m.bueker at berlin.de
Sun Nov 11 23:39:37 CET 2007

I don't hold the copyright, so this isn't my decision to make, but...

On Friday 09 November 2007, I J wrote:
> Is their any possible way to purchase a copy of the roundcube script from
> you that isn't released under the GPL license? I'm willing to pay any
> reasonable price; [...]

You're suggesting that the roundcube community accept money to release its
code to somebody completely unknown...

> [...] to allow my company (Dynno.com coming soon) to be able to place our
> copyright on the script.

...to enable them to do whatever they wish with the code, including non-free
distribution, the removal of credits, the refusal to undisclose the
source, ...

> Please be assured that your script won't be used for resale however, it
> will be used to provide email addresses to our members.

...and all we have is your word that you'll use the software for nothing but
what you could do right now, under a GPL license?

As I said, the decision isn't mine to make, but this stinks to heaven. And I'm
confident the community will think the same, because I remember at least one
other occasion where it has chosen freedom over dollars.

~Mik

--
The Universe, as has been observed before, is an unsettlingly big place, a
fact which for the sake of a quiet life most people tend to ignore.