[RCD] Filters

emi at algorismia.com emi at algorismia.com
Tue Nov 13 19:22:42 CET 2007

Hi Michael!!
   Thanks for your comment!!! That's just my idea, but we should begin
from somewhere 8^). I didn't know that you HAVE TO mantain all the
beta-states of the program. If this is the case, well, I'll continue
working on it until some improvements are done.

   The UI is now in a good place. May be it'd be cool to do it with a
drag'n'drop list for changing the order of filters. But I need some
help here: I've spent some time discovering on how to do the other
part, that's suposed to be easier.

   I also think that'd be very good to use some kind of regexp instead of
just strpos when looking for filter matches. Now, you pick messages
fields like "Subject" or "From" from a select box, and then you insert
the text that have to be searched on the selected field:

New filter
-----------
Field	: [Subject | From | To | Header | ...]
Contains: [****SPAM****     ]
Move to	: [Mailboxes select Box]

   May be it can be a regular expression editor, as the one found on
kwrite for searching with regular expressions. Or just let the user add
different kind of searching widgets. Note: When I say a regular
expression I mean something like "if subject contains '[RCD]' and from
contains 'enemy_name'".

   There are some other improvements I want to implement on the search
engine: look for special features of the message, as seen/unseen,
date/age, message-contains-images, size, etc.

   And then, there is the 'Move To:' field. I thought that it can be great
to let the user do thatever he wants:
 * Move to a specific folder
 * Copy to a specific folder
 * Send a mail to some other email acount
 * Reply some special answer
 * More than one in a single filter
 * ...

   Ok, it will be hard to implement it, and also to implement the Sieve or
Procmail part. I think that, depending on the server configuration,
some of theme will be available and some not. But all of them are ideas
that will made RoundCube really great!

   And, for sure, if somebody wants to colaborate implementing it...
hahahaha! what can I say? :^)

   Well, comments are still welcome!

   emi