[RCD] "Supported" browsers

markevich at inbox.lv markevich at inbox.lv
Thu Nov 15 15:05:35 CET 2007

Hello, Charles.

I was using Firefox 2.x (Windows, Linux), Opera 9.x (Windows, Linux),
Internet Explorer. Everything was working fine except for 1 annoying
bug in the latest release that's denies to login on Firefox.

I don't think that browser names should be displayed in the
requirements, because there are a lot of differences in the browsers
engine realization (even in the same family). The key here is to
specify generic functionality that is used in the Roundcube that at
least must be supported in order to work. If we’ll add some
browser’s names to the list it would mean that we’ll give
support obligations to the community to 100% support for these
browsers and it wouldn’t be right. My advice is to keep things
like they are now – if your browser is supporting specified
functions in the requirement it should work, if it’s supporting
and not working – create ticket and we’ll try to
investigate the problem.

I agree that there is should be a list with the browsers that were
reported as working/non-working but definitely not in the
requirements section but may be at the bottom of the page.

Regards, Andris
> Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 09:31:48 -0600
> From: chasd
> Subject: [RCD] "Supported" browsers
> To: RoundCube Dev
>
> At the link
>

> Only this is mentioned for browser requirements :
>
> * Javascript enabled
> * Accept cookies
> * Support for XMLHttpRequest
>
> Since I have some users on old or odd platforms, I was wondering if

> there should be a list of "tested" browsers.
> This may be incorrect, but from reading the Dev mail list, it seems

> the main developers test on the major browsers.
>
> IMHO it seems that RoundCube is "tested" on
>
> IE 6 ( Win XP ) and 7 ( Win XP and Vista )
> Safari 2 ( OS X 10.4.x ) and 3 ( OS X 10.4.x and 10.5.x, Win XP,
Vista )
> Firefox 2 ( Win XP, OS X 10.4.x )
>
> Should that specifically be mentioned in the browser requirements ?

> Are there others that are smoketested by Devs ?
>
> If other browsers are known to work by users, those could be added
> a "reported to work" section, so there is not an implication those
> browsers are regularly used by the Devs.
> I think Opera 9 is used by others on the Dev list, and I use
Camino,
> although always the very latest release.

> Maybe there should also be a "known not to work" section so bugs
> don't get filed that will likely never be addressed ?
> I realize that if IE 6 works, you have covered almost every Windows

> user, but the Mac platform has had many different browsers
available
> for it, and many different versions of those. Sadly each with
> differing capabilities as far as HTML, CSS, and ECMAScript support.

> Such browsers would be Safari 1.2x or 1.0.x ( OS X 10.3.x, 10.2.x
),
> Firefox 1.0.x or 1.5.x, Mozilla Suite ( Mac OS 9 ), IE 4.x ( Mac OS

> 9 ), iCab, etc.
> Charles Dostale
> System Admin - Silver Oaks Communications
> http://www.silveroaks.com/
> 824 17th Street, Moline IL 61265
-- Tavs bezmaksas pasts Inbox.lv