[RCD] iPhone usability

chasd chasd at silveroaks.com
Wed Nov 21 16:09:42 CET 2007

I have done some work on this because I have been informed our
company will have four iPhone users next week ;)

Some questions :

1)
Should I set up a separate theme, or modify the default theme ?
Would it make sense to create a "mobile" theme, since Google's
Android may create some specific issues ?
What about Win CE or Blackberry, any known issues ?
Other mobile platforms / devices like the Nokia N810  ?
( I don't think a WML interface is worthwhile )

2)
Should RC sniff for the iPhone and customize the interface based on
user agent string ?

3)
I have tentatively labeled the button "Open message."
It is possible to label it "Show message" or "Display message" or
some other term that is more descriptive of the action or more easily
translated. Suggestions or comments ?

4)
There was a thread on the Users list about source code for the icons.
It was stated that the icons came from art available here :
<http://kmgerich.com/2006/07/11/firefox-browser-ui-artwork-released/>

However, that icon set does not include the icons for "reply" that I
would like to modify for an "open" button.
Are there SVG or .AI files of the "reply" button available somewhere ?
I can hack on the existing pixel-based files, but that is not my
first choice.
Right now I am hacking on a SVN snapshot, are the icon source files
in SVN ?

5)
English is my language, and the label for this button would need to
be translated.
Is there a process for that ?
Depending on the answer to 1), there may be other label added.

6)
Some people on this list mentioned other changes to make the skin
better suited to a small screen on a mobile device. I did not see any
recommendations on that. If there were, could you post them again in
this thread ? If there weren't any recommendations, now is the time
to speak up ;)

7)
Before I start a Google search, does anyone know of any excellent
resources for targeting mobile devices with HTML / CSS / JS ?

8)
There is no question eight.

Charles Dostale
http://www.silveroaks.com/