[RCD] MySQL usage to much??

till klimpong at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 00:09:11 CEST 2007

On 9/4/07, crow <crow at linux.org.ba> wrote:
> Tuesday, September 4, 2007, 9:22:53 AM, you wrote:
> > On Tuesday 04 September 2007 09:02:05 am crow wrote:
> >> Hello All,
> >>
> >> I setup a Roundcube webmail, and it is working fine. Some part not but
> >> i can live with that. The problem is that my Server admin is
> >> complaining about mysql usage and threads that Roundcube make.
> >> I disabeled CACHE but that didnt help either:
> >>

> > I am not too sure, but are the connections persistent ?
> > I know that we have reduced connections by using the
> > mysql_pconnect instead of mysql_connect ...

I've never seen that work. Especially with Apache and
forking/preforking. I've read a ton of articles where people claim
that you save some CPU cycles by using it but I have no idea if that
actually works (yet/now).

> I dont know that i asked my sysadmin if connection persistent are.
> It would like to use mysql a minimum only, but it seems so not.
> Thnx for your replay.

Check config/db.inc.php and check $rcmail_config['db_persistent']

If it is set to TRUE, please set it to FALSE and try again.

Also, as others have stated - the default timeout for mysql
connections is 8 hrs. This is not really a problem (shouldn't be
anyway), but tell your system administrator to read up on wait_timeout
(or something like that) to decrease the setting. Then idle
connections will no longer stay around for so long.

Cheers,
Till